Plants from Mums

As mentioned in a previous post, I had finally brought back all the plants I had at Mums.

I completely underestimated just how many were still there and there was nothing for it, but to crack on and see what I could do with them.

First up, PRIMROSES.

PRIMROSE 220416

I had completely forgotten about this as they were tucked away at the bottom of the garden (along with MANY other things) and even though they haven’t had any special treatment, they have done really well on their own.  These were cuttings that were taken from plants already in Mums garden.

PRIMROSE 2204162

After sorting through the viable plants I was left with 15 healthy (if not a little small in some cases) lovely plants 🙂

Next were BELLIS ‘Perennis’.  Now, I already have 57 of these in stock (!!), but I still managed to get another 14 viable plants out of what I brought back.

BELLIS Perennis 240416

You know me, always room for one more 😉

The next job was going to be A LOT trickier.  I knew these were at Mums, but due to the amount of plants I already have in the tunnel, I had been putting off picking them up – big mistake!!  I sowed these CALIFORNIAN POPPY ‘Golden West’ back in September 2015 and had basically left them with Mum ever since.  Bless her, she has watered them every day and kept reminding me that they were getting big, but I had sort of put them to the back of my mind.

CALIFORNIAN POPPY Golden West 240416

Look at the size of them!!!!  It became apparent almost immediately with the plants being as big as they are, trying to tidy them up to sell as plugs was pointless so after checking the final growing sizes of the plants, I decided to pot them directly into 9 cm pots.

CALIFORNIAN POPPY Golden West 2404162

I am hoping that this will give them the best chance to look their best.  I managed to get 104 plants out of these trays 🙂 Now I just have to write out all the labels!!!

Next were the two varieties of AQUILEGIA that I had completely forgotten about.  I am unsure of their exact variety, but I know they were sown from seeds taken from Mums garden and one lot was ‘Yellow’ and the other was ‘Purple’.  I know this because the labels said so 😉

AQUILEGIA 240416

After giving them all a good tidy up and deciding to keep them in their 9 cm pot sizes I salvaged 50 x ‘Yellow’ and 39 x ‘Purple’

There were about a dozen whose labels had gone astray so I will wait until I can identify them properly before counting them.

Next was a couple of trays of ASTER ‘Starlight Scarlet’. You may remember from a previous post that I have not been all that successful in my quest to grow ASTER’s before and this kinda seals the deal for me 😦

ASTER Starlight Scarlet 240416

I transplanted the 6 (yes 6!!) seedlings I had and planted them into 9 cm pots.  These were purchased seed so I am more than a little disappointed with their germination rate – GRRR!

ASTER Starlight Scarlet 2404162

They’re healthy enough, just a little small.  I may put these into a nice big pot and use them for seeds next year.

Next was OSTEOSPERMUM ‘Akila Mix’. Now, these were self harvested seed and I had harvested them at the wrong time so I wasn’t holding out much hope that they were going to come to anything.

OSTEOSPERMUM Akila 240416

Thankfully, 4 little seedlings have germinated to I have potted them up into 9 cm pots and I think when they are more established I am going to keep these in a big pot on my patio and keep them for seeds for next year.

OSTEOSPERMUM Akila 2404162

They grow quite large so they’re going to look great in my container garden 🙂

And that was my Sunday in the polytunnel 🙂

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s