In my quest to do a full stock take, it has raised more concerns than it has done answered questions. I appear to have an APPALLING germination rate of some seeds and I am concerned that this is going to have a severely negative impact on my ‘business’ moving forward.
For example, on 13th January, I sowed 149 CLEOME ‘Rose Queen’ seeds. Today, simply because I am literally running out of 40 cell seed trays, I decided to decant all of the seedlings into one or two trays of each type (i.e irradiating all of the gaps and minimising the number of seed trays I am currently using). It turns out that of the 149 seeds sown, I have managed to successfully germinate only 35 seedlings (23.4% germination rate!)
This just isn’t good enough and although I have followed sowing and growing instructions to the letter, I am obviously ‘cocking up’ somewhere.
Another example is the BIDENS ‘Golden Eye’ I transplanted today from their 40 cell tray homes into 9 cm pots. I originally sowed 80 seeds, but only 22 have successfully germinated (a germination rate of 27.5%) CRAP!
This wouldn’t be a problem if they were annual plants, but these are perennials, which as any grower knows, is you bread and butter when it comes to sales.
And finally, just to prove a point, MARIGOLD Durango Mix. On 1st March sowed 120 seeds, of these only 21 (!!) have germinated.
I know this must sound trivial to some people, but when you are trying to build a business and a new life, it’s important to get it right.
It is a little disheartening, but as long as you learn from these, things, the next tray of seeds will always be more successful 🙂
Oh and one more thing. In EPIC FAIL news, not a single PEPPER grew 😦