Firstly, I can’t believe this is my 50th post!! I have only been blogging for 7 weeks and the difference it has made to my life has been astonishing. Thank you to everyone who has come along for the ride so far. I never thought I would get as much enjoyment as I do from sharing my stories from my garden with people who have similar interests. You have all made me feel so welcome and it has been an absolute pleasure sharing in your gardening highs and lows.
Now, before I go any further, I want to talk about Frank! My heart goes out to the many thousands of people whose lives have been affected by this awful storm, but for us here in Worcester, we got away with it relatively lightly. That being said, he definitely left his mark!
After a night of howling 50+ mph winds, I cautiously opened the curtains to see the effects ‘Frank’ had had on the garden. Now, unfortunately I didn’t get a picture of this as it was pitch black, but the wind had somehow managed to completely remove one of the covers off my temporary greenhouses and it had landed on the bramble bushes of my neighbours property. Trist to the rescue! He managed to recover my cover and thankfully there wasn’t any real damage to it so I will be able to replace it and use it again.
There were however, other tell-tale signs that ‘Frank’ had visited, but to be fair, nothing that was particularly devastating.
This picture shows what the winds had done to my middle raised bed. Now, when I went to bed, the weed control matting was perfectly placed and the whole area was protected by the impending monsoons that were forecasts. Not any more! The fabric had been weighed down by some pretty substantial sized pieces of stone wall so it was quite impressive to see how much had escaped!
Then there was a massive rip in the piece of fabric I had put down on the right hand side of the garden, but this can be easily replaced.
My temporary greenhouses were what took the biggest battering. One had even managed to make its’ way over to the other side of the garden!
That being said, all in all, we got off lightly, but I have to admit to being pleased in being cautious and not putting the cover on my temporary walk-in greenhouse as I had previously planned 🙂
So as we reach the last day of 2015, it seems only appropriate to review progress made over the last 12 months and to look forward to plans for the next 12 🙂
I moved into my new property in May this year (feels like 5 minutes) and set about ripping out the old and making way for the new.
Looking at these two before and after pictures, it kinda feels like I have gone from a garden to a building site, but Rome wasn’t built in a day!